cclogo img img
dot Home
dot News Releases
dot Meetings Calendar
dot Employment
dot Departments
dot Voting Information
dot Online Services
dot Financial Reports
dot Tax Info
dot Office Locations
dot Phone Directory
dot Holidays Schedule
dot Contact Us
dot Request Info (FOIA)
dot County Stats
dot Site Map
dot Links
dot Arts & Entertainment
dot CARTA Transit System
dot County Library
dot County Parks
dot Elections / Voter Registration
dot Greenbelt
dot School District
dot Sex Offenders Search
dot Sheriff's Office
dot Traffic Cam
dot Transportation Sales Tax
dot United Way 24-hour hotline
dot Visitor Information
dot Zoning & Planning


dot City of Charleston
dot City of Folly Beach
dot City of Isle of Palms
dot City of North Charleston
dot Town of Awendaw
dot Town of Hollywood
dot Town of James Island
dot Town of Kiawah Island
dot Town of Lincolnville
dot Town of McClellanville
dot Town of Meggett
dot Town of Mount Pleasant
dot Town of Ravenel
dot Town of Rockville
dot Town of Seabrook Island
dot Town of Sullivan's Island
Handheld   Printer   XML   Email  

How do I register my vehicle
in Charleston County?


Before you can register your vehicle with the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you must first pay the property taxes that are required in the county in which you reside. If you are a resident of Charleston County, you can file your vehicle with the Charleston County Auditor’s Office (to get a tax bill) and pay your vehicle's taxes to the Charleston County Treasurer at the same time by visiting one of our convenient service center locations.




  • East Cooper Service Center

1189 Sweetgrass Basket Pkwy - Suite 400

Mount Pleasant, SC 29466

(843) 856-1203

(843) 856-1204 (Fax)


  • North Area Service Center

Lonnie Hamilton, III Public Services Building

4045 Bridge View Drive

North Charleston, SC 29405

(843) 202-6691

(843) 202-6698 (Fax)


You can also visit the Auditor and Treasurer’s main offices in downtown Charleston:


Auditor’s Office

O.T. Wallace County Office Building

101 Meeting Street, Room 105

Charleston, SC 29401

(843) 958-4200 

(843) 958-4222 (Fax)

Treasurer’s Office

O.T. Wallace County Office Building

101 Meeting Street, Suite 240

Charleston, SC 29402

(843) 958-4360

(843) 958-4370 (Fax)


What to bring


If you are registering a vehicle for the first time in South Carolina, you will need to bring one of the following documents to the Auditor’s Office:


  • Registration; or

  • Title; or

  • Bill of Sale


* Note: If your vehicle has been previously registered in South Carolina, contact the Auditor’s Office at (843) 958-4200 to determine what documentation you need to bring.



Paying your tax bill


You can pay your property tax bill to the Treasurer’s Office with cash or check. You can also pay by credit card online at under “Tax Records Search and Payment”.



Registering your vehicle with the S.C. DMV


After you have paid your tax bill, you can register your vehicle with the S.C. DMV.  For more information about what you must bring to the DMV to register your vehicle and for DMV office locations, visit or call 1 (800) 442-1DMV.


dot dot dot dot

E-mail your comments or questions about this site to
Report technical problems with this site to
Scenic photos throughout this site provided by Alterman Studios, Charleston, South Carolina.
This is the official web site for Charleston County Government.
Copyright © 2000-2013, Charleston County, South Carolina. All rights reserved.
Legal Disclaimer |
Refund Disclaimer | Privacy Policy